Friday, May 11, 2007

Next Year

So the Air Force has given me orders for my assignment next year: Osan Air Base, South Korea. I'm excited about this trip for many reasons.
1. It's only a year. I'm pretty sure I'll like it, but even if I don't, I'm there for only a year, and then I can either do residency or continue as a flight surgeon.
2. I get an assignment preferece for the following year. Since Korea is/was an
"undesirable" remote assignment, the Air Force lets you choose your next assignment: residency, Hawawii, Europe, California, etc.
3. It's near Seoul, a BIG hoppin' metropolis. I'm excited to get out of Dayton and getting someplace with more young people, style, events, etc.
4. It's in Asia. I love Asian people and food. And I'll easily be able to visit Japan. Singapore, Thailand, and New Zealand will also be close.
5. F-16s are assigned there; that means I'll have an extremely good chance to fly some in this sweet fighter jet.
But here's the kicker. The Air Force just notified me 2 days ago that they assigned too many flight surgeons to Osan, and so now either me or some other dude have to be reassigned!!! The only spots left are Guam (a desolate tropical island) and Misawa (on the Northern tip of Japan). Both I REALLY don't want to spend 2 years at. So please pray for me, that I won't get reassigned.

No comments: