Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Base Exercise

We are doing a base exercise this week. Pretty much we pretend we're at war. I'm on the Initial Response Team, where a tech, an ambulance driver, and myself go out into the field to pick up the injured. My first run out was a mass casualty of 7 men. The fire department was supposed to organize the scene before I got there, but I ended up having to run the program myself. Lots learned from the experience, but I did well considering it was my first.

We have to wear our chem warfare jacket and pants all the time, and every once and a while don out gas masks. It gets really hot with all this, a flak vest, doctor vest, ulitilty belt, helmet and so on. We're not allowed to go off base or shop for anything including food, but we're allow to go home to sleep, which in the real situation, we'd sleep in the hospital.

1 comment:

Yoohoo said...

unfortunately, everytime that drew went out to get patients in the field they all came back dead. have fun in america dude!