Sunday, December 11, 2005

Air Force Match will soon be upon me!

So on Dec 14, the Air Force is going to tell me...

1st: whether they will let me do anesthesiology for a specialty. If not, my back up plan is to become a flight surgeon (a general practitioner, kind of like a family doc for pilots).

2nd: whether they will defer me to do civilian residency or become active duty in an Air Force residency.

This is what the chances are from a pretty uneducated guess.

60% chance: civilian anesthesiology residency
10% chance: Air Force anesthesiology residency
30% chance: become a Flight Surgeon

Usually people get their first choice for a specialty in the Air Force, but about 40 people want to do anesthesia, and the AF will only allow about 20 people to specialize in it, so in short, some people will be disappointed.

No comments: